The KIHA 100 diesel car appeared in 1990 as a replacement for the KIHA 20 and KIHA 45.
Four prototype cars were first manufactured, and in 1991 an improved mass-produced car (primary car) was manufactured.
In the same year, a secondary car with a changed skirt shape appeared from the primary car.
Currently, in addition to the Ofunato Line, Kitakami Line, Kamaishi Line, and Ominato Line, some vehicles are also active on the Aoimori Railway Line.
- TN coupler (SP) installed
- The car number is selectable and comes with a transfer sheet
- Interior light standard equipment
- JR mark printed
- Head / tail lights and interior lights are equipped with a constantly lit board and have an ON-OFF switch.
- Headlights are lit by white LEDs, and tail lights are lit by red LEDs.
- The front display is "normal" printed
- Parts for each hood frame are included
- Powered with flywheel
- New current collection system, silver wheels adopted
- M-13 motor adopted
- Can pass through mini curves